8/05/2010

"Beyond the Myth: The Story of Joan of Arc" by Polly Schoyer Brooks

Honestly, I only read the first half of this book. I'm not exactly sure why, because it was very interesting. The author dedicated the book to her daughter, Joan. Wouldn't it be fascinating to be a fly on the wall and see what really happened? Or to interview Joan herself, and find out what her motivations really were? She was only 14. I guess the main reason she accomplished so much was because a. her gender was so radical, b. she was a virtuous, faithful girl who stuck to her standard of virginity until marriage (which she never got to experience), and c. she had guts and confidence. She didn't actually ever kill anybody, just rallied lots of troops and instilled confidence in her cohorts and fear in her enemies. I would like to learn more about her, especially when I have adolescent girls in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!