3/26/2010

"Ethan Frome" by Edith Wharton


After my break with Wharton for Carriger's "Soulless" (which was a much needed break), I returned to read this short novella of hers. Many people recommended it to me. I think it had even more significance to me, because I grew up in Western Massachusetts. It's set in "Starkfield, MA" which doesn't exist, but it might as well the way she described it. I could easily imagine this place, somewhere in northern/central Mass probably, rural - SO so much of this book is about the setting.

I would recommend this book to anybody who is feeling depressed about their life, because they will be sure to realize, after reading this, that their life doesn't suck nearly as badly as it could.

And with this read, I think I will put off reading any more Wharton for a while. Her books are great to read, very well done, but her endings!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment!