11/30/2010

Conversations with Jane recently

Signs italicized. What Jane probably meant in (parenthesis).

6:30 in the morning.
me: Jane? What's wrong? It's so early. Why are you awake? What do you want? You should be sleeping! sleep
Jane: food (I'm hungry!)
me: Okay, let's go downstairs and get your food. But first I need to go get some clothes on. You need to wait here on your bed because Daddy is sleeping. I will go get my clothes on and get dressed, and come back, and we will go downstairs and eat breakfast. Wait here.

JANE SAT ON HER BED PEACEFULLY AND WAITED FOR ME TO GET DRESSED! Hooray!

Jane: juice?
Me: Oh, sorry, the juice is all gone. But you can have some milk.
Jane: banana?
Me: Sorry, the banana is all gone. But you can have some cereal.
Jane: Banana all gone.
Me: Yes, the banana is all gone. But you can have some cereal.

AND SHE WASN'T UPSET THAT IT WAS ALL GONE! SHE WAS JUST TELLING ME!

Jane: Da-da? (sign for Daddy, asking where he is)
Me: Daddy isn't here right now.
Jane: Daddy work
Me: That's right, Daddy is at work right now.

Okay so maybe I'm rejoicing in very mundane things right now. But the fact is, she is actually able to communicate in more than, "I want this Gimmee this now!" This makes me happy.

2 comments:

  1. Kate, you are awesome. This was a great read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! I wanted to start baby signs from day one, but so far the only ones I've kept up on are "milk" and "change diaper". I guess since he's only 5 months old I still have time to add in some more. That's so cool that she's signing back to you and really communicating!

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment!