12/02/2008

Next year and teaching?

I wonder what next year will be like.

This year I am taking classes at BYU. This semester is my last "official" semester with classes on campus. Next semester I will be doing my student teaching at Lehi High School. Officially I am a French Teaching major.

I was hired to teach Arabic to middle schoolers at Renaissance Academy August 2007. I taught 2 classes of Arabic. It was great. Hard, but awesome. I taught a 6th grade class and a combined 7th-8th grade class.

My supervisor and I were talking today about the future of Arabic at Renaissance. This year they had Chinese in Kindergarten, and next year they will add Chinese to all grade levels. So Chinese will be K-8. Awesome! My supervisor also wants to open a beginning Arabic class for all the students in 7th and 8th grade who are new. So I would teach a beginning 6th grade Arabic class, a second year 7th/8th grade class, and a first year 7th/8th grade class. I am so excited. I hope this works.

"You know...so you'll keep us posted if there's a move or a job change or a baby..."
"...actually..."

So I finally told my supervisor that I'm pregnant. She asked if I will want to keep working or if I will want to be a stay at home mom. Most women in Utah choose the latter.

We just can't do that financially right now. Danny will still be a full time student.

His schedule will be flexible, which is good because that will allow me to work and him watch the baby during those hours. Will I really be able to teach another beginning level Arabic class?

I really hope so. I love beginning level Arabic. It's fun to teach. Especially middle schoolers! Who knew I would grow up to teach the same grades that I used to despise?

Who knows what next year will be like.

1 comment:

  1. Oh My GOSH! KATE!!! Congratulations! I stumbled upon your blog today... what good luck! I'm so excited for you! When are you due? I guess all the cool people are pregnant these days. :)

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment!